Sunday, December 1, 2013

Phones, internet and long lost friends

Just recently I was "talked" into joining "Viber", "Voxer" and "What'sUp" - those all free apps that available to download on your phone for immediate use.  Free apps to send/receive SMS, pictures and phone calls from anywhere in the world for free, as long as both sender and receiver use same program.

Well... here I am, downloaded "what's up" about month ago and instantly connected with long-time friend who currently lives in Russia and only way of communication until now was gmail quick chat.  Now we able to quick text message each other anytime as long as we both up.  Which is a nice thing, no surprises here.  Then one of my cousins from Kazakhstan texts me in the middle of the night, receiving text from unknown # with country code for KZ - it's took me a few text both ways to find out which cousin is texting.

During Thanksgiving dinner conversation switch to phones, cost, apps - typical.  All 3 of my brothers were quick to recommend to get "Viber" which I did. Uploaded my photo, one of the recent ones, from August.  And the very same night got a text from unknown # - asking if I remember that person. Frankly, no. Country code is one I'm not familiar with - had to google it.  After 20 minutes of conversation texting back and forth I found out person is from Germany, we used to be friends, met online long time ago.  I don't usually give my phone # to people that I meet online.  It must be some very good friendship. I have absolutely no recollection of.

Another surprise today - another text from unknown # stating that they cannot remember who I am.  Well, I don't know either, after I google the country code - Grece - (!!!)  I used to know 2 people from Greece.  Both were bloggers on livejournal from long time ago, one of them still had my phone # saved. Only this time he absolutely have no memories of our friendship whatsoever!

Well... let's see if new apps will uncover more "friends" from previous life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment